Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes 0L (Mat Black) Review and Swatches



(Information taken from Sephora website)

What it is:
An award-winning, waterproof, smudge-proof, and fade-proof eyeliner that doubles as a vibrant eyeshadow.

What it does:
This best-selling eyeliner has become a favorite among all women who fear the dreaded raccoon eyes. Formulated to glide on effortlessly and withstand the most extreme conditions, it stays put on eyelids without melting for precise application and intense color throughout the day.

I had high hopes for this eye pencil. I have oily lids and teary eyes which makes lining my waterline a pain in the butt. I should give up already because nothing stays on my waterline for more than an hour but I just love how darker my lashes look when I do it. I heard that this was originally made for water ballet performers and was thinking if it works on them, it must definitely work for me. By the way the pencil is actually longer than the picture posted, I forgot to take pictures of it before I used it.



Top to bottom: Aqua Eyes and Aqua Eyes mixed with Eye Seal



I realise that I have never reviewed MUFE's Eye Seal. Eye Seal is supposed to waterproof eye shadows and eye liners. Honestly I have mixed feelings with the product but I do sometimes dip my eye pencils into Eye Seal when I want to make sure my eye liner stay longer on me.


Left to right: MUFE  Aqua Liner swatches versus Urban Decay 24/7 Zero swatches


I did a comparison with MUFE and Urban Decay. Both are the better known waterproof and smudge proof eye pencils around. On the right of each set of swatches is a swatch mixed with Eye Seal. Both MUFE and UD are creamy and pigmented. I like that they don't skip and glide on my lids easily. When freshly applied they both look really nice.

After drenching it with saline

After rubbing
Somehow on my arm swatches, they withstand quite a bit of rough handling but unfortunately this did not happen when I used it on my water line. After about two hours, I notice black stains have transferred to my lower eye lids giving me "panda eyes", it also started "bleeding" to my outer corner of the eyes. The stains were not very serious but still noticeable for me to rush to the toilets for a clean up. I bet the fact that my lids are oily contributed to the sub par performance.

MUFE Aqua Eyes costs USD$20 versus SGD $32. For its price, I wished it worked better. I bet ladies with none of my eye issues will enjoy this but then again I'm sure there are also many eye pencils that are cheaper and also work just as well.

Ratings: 2 lipsticks

5 comments:

  1. I have similar issues with eyeliner sometimes, especially black where I have smudges underneath my lower lashline. I noticed the best way is to lightly buff transparent powder like MAC's Prep + Prime finishing powder around the area and also on top of the liner (just along the lashline, not on the waterline). This helps reduce my smudges significantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fieran, thanks for your recc, I'll try that and see how that works out.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it's been awhile since you posted this but in case you haven't found "the one" yet, I have a suggestion! Use the pencil liner, any one you want, and get the Clinique Brush On Cream liner to dip the tip of the pencil into. It is the MOST waterproof and long lasting on the water line that I have EVER come across. The sales rep put it onto the back of their hand, let it dry and sprayed water onto it… The water just dripped off in beads. Could not be smudged at all! I've used it for a year and a half now and I've never found anything better than that for the water line! The pencil is just an easier way to put it on that using a brush. Hope it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion, I still haven't found the one. I'll try this and let you know how it works.

      Delete

I love comments! Please leave me one. I promise I'll write back.